Pelican Nurses' League
The Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh
The League membership comprises nurses who trained at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh (RIE) School of Nursing, (latterly the South Lothian College of Nursing) prior to 1987, who successfully passed the final examination and were admitted to the General Part of the Register maintained by the General Nursing Council for Scotland as a Registered General Nurse (RGN) or Enrolled Nurse (EN) and then worked in the RIE for one year as a Staff Nurse (RGN) or six months as an Enrolled Nurse (EN) after which they gained their Pelican badge.
|*Photographs: Edinburgh Royal Infirmary Tower at dusk, Nurses' Graduation (1948), Pentland Hills from Edinburgh, The Meadows in Edinburgh, Students in class (1956) in Edinburgh, the Nurses' Red Home. The photographs are from Medical Photography NHS Lothian by Steve Stanton. The Nurses' photographs are from the Lothian Health Services Archive.|